Delhi Election Watch and Association for Democratic Reforms (ADR) have analysed the self-sworn affidavits of all 673 candidates who are contesting in the 2015 Delhi Assembly Elections. There are 70 political parties fielding candidates in these elections. In the previous elections in 2013 there were 77 political parties that contested and in 2008 there were 68 political parties that were in the fray. There are 66 (10%) female candidates out of 673 candidates contesting this year. In 2013 there were 71 (9%) female candidates out of 810 candidates in the fray and in 2008 there were 81 (9%) female candidates out of 875 candidates contesting the elections.
Criteria for serious criminal cases:
1. Offence for which maximum punishment is of 5 years or more.
2. If an offence is non-bailable
3. If it is an electoral offence (for eg. IPC 171E or bribery)
4. Offence related to loss to exchequer
5. Offences that are assault, murder, kidnap, rape related
6. Offences that are mentioned in Representation of the People Act (Section 8)
7. Offences under Prevention of Corruption Act
8. Crimes against women.
Some statistics are as follows:
- Party wise Candidates with Criminal Cases: 27 (39%) out of 69 candidates from BJP, 23 (33%) out of 70 candidates from AAP, 21 (30%) out of 70 candidates from INC, 12 (17%) out of 70 candidates from BSP, 1 candidate fielded by SAD and 15 (8%) out of 195 independent candidates have declared criminal cases against themselves in their affidavits.
- Party wise Candidates with Serious Criminal Cases: 17 (25%) out of 69 candidates from BJP, 14 (20%) out of 70 candidates from AAP, 11 (16%) out of 70 candidates from INC, 11 (16%) out of 70 candidates from BSP, 1 candidate fielded by SAD and 9 (5%) out of 195 independent candidates have declared serious criminal cases against themselves in their affidavits.
- Candidates with cases of murder and attempt to murder: 1 candidate has declared cases related to murder and 5 candidates have declared cases of attempt to murder.
- Candidates with cases related to Crimes against Women: 8 candidates have declared cases related to crimes against women. Out of these, 3 candidates have declared charges related to assault or criminal force to woman with intent to outrage her modesty (IPC Section-354), 3 candidates with charges related to word, gesture or act intended to insult the modesty of a woman (IPC Section-509), 1 candidate with a charge related to husband or relative of husband of a woman subjecting her to cruelty (IPC Section-498A), 1 candidate with a charge related to causing miscarriage without woman’s consent (IPC Section-313) and 1 candidate with a charge related to kidnapping, abducting or inducing woman to compel her marriage, etc. (IPC Section-366).
- Candidates with cases related to Robbery and Dacoity: 4 candidates have declared cases related to robbery and dacoity. These cases include charges related to dacoity (IPC Section-395), robbery or dacoity with attempt to cause death or grievous hurt (IPC Section-397) etc.
- Red Alert Constituencies*: 19 constituencies have at least 3 candidates with declared criminal cases. Tughlakabad constituency has five candidates who have declared criminal cases against themselves.
P.S. Data in this Kit is presented in good faith, with an intention to inform voters. Candidates’ affidavits obtained from the ECI website (www.eci.nic.in) with nomination papers is the source of this analysis. Website:-www.adrindia.org, http://www.myneta.info
Next article summarizes financial background of candidates.